Game Prototypes

There was a time when I was unsure of my purpose in the game development industry. I can code, but I don’t love it, my art is average at best and I didn’t seem to be cut out for designing. Project management feels closest to home, but with University deadlines pressing, and events to organise around every corner, these projects were quickly put on the back burner.

What came out of these attempts are two prototypes, of which, though they were never completed and released successfully, I’m still pretty proud. I still have aspirations to write more, and develop a cohesive (game) world, but perhaps more in the role of a hobby writer.

Summary

Ant Eater

2009 – 2012 ^

With: Gwen Ferdinandus, Moniek Hulspas

Originally started as a student project under the supervision of Mark Overmars, Ananteater_old1t Eater headed in a couple of directions with multiple artists before settling, with Gamious as our publisher. We were pretty comfortable with where the game was heading when we were assigned a producer by Gamious. He suggested a radical change, which basically wiped out everything we had already done and caused us to start anew — a new perspective, new art, and a completely different approach to creating levels. The theme and main mechanic, however, remained the same.

In Ant Eater, you guide the tongue of a baby ant eater through an ant hill to eat the ants crawling through the level. The controls use the intuitive touch input of mobile devices to pull the ant eater’s tongue out. In the first version, we used a top-down perspective of a horizontal slice through the ant hill; In the second version, a side-perspective of a vertical slice was used to improve the ant characters and be able to give them a more comical edge.

Feel free to take a look at the Concept & Design Documents, the new design – [x] [x] [x], and the old design – [x] [x] [x]

The proof of concept prototype is available upon request.

Paper Blocks

2010 – 2012 ^

With: Martine Francken, Alicia Zwart-van Vulpen

Paper Blocks started as a university project with five people, but as it finipaperblocks2shed we reduced to two (myself and my friend, Martine, who did the coding) and found ourselves an artist to complete the team. The original assignment was to take an arcade classic (in our case, Arkanoid), and add new technology to change it up. We decided to use the touch interface of mobile devices to ‘draw’ the paddle instead of using arrow keys.

Initially, we were rather rigidly stuck in the bottom-open boxed feeling most Arkanoid games give you. But, with devices that could be oriented in multiple directions and game controls allowing for more natural touch input, we gradually evolved to a more intuitive design for our levels.

Feel free to take a look at the last version of the Design Document and an get an impression of the game design – [x] [x] [x]

The proof of concept prototype is available upon request.